Friday, October 28, 2011

Cabin, part 1

This past weekend, my parents met Lily and me for a fun getaway a little ways north of Greensboro, NC. A coworker of mine recently built a cabin, and he and his family generously offered it to us for the weekend. The cabin was so great - cute, cozy, and no TV or electronic communication (other than a landline telephone!) - but I think the surrounding 400 acres were even better! Here is the view from the back porch of the cabin:


We were lucky to have the perfect weekend. Warm, sunny days, fall foliage emerging, and chilly nights perfect for sitting around a fire.

The first day out there, we explored the nearby pond and dock. Lily blew bubbles and just about chased the bubbles into the pond:




We climbed big rocks!! (Lily says "I'm the king of the mountain!!")



And we found lots of different nature stuff to play with.




Later in the day, we found a swing tucked away in the woods. Lily loved it!!!



Ed (my coworker who owns the cabin) stopped by on Friday afternoon to show us around a little bit. He and I set out on four-wheelers. Believe it or not, I didn't ride too many four-wheelers growing up in the suburbs of Ohio, so it was a new experience!! We rode all over the place, and it was a lot of fun. Then we swung back by the cabin and Lily hopped on with me for a little (slow) ride back up to the barn where they are stored.


Ed set us up with the "ranger" - an all-terrain vehicle with a little bit more seating, so we could all explore together. There is a farm on the property that has pigs, goats, chickens, horses, and cows - we took the ranger up to see the pigs and goats!


The goats were "fainting goats" - when they get scared they stiffen up and fall over!! When Ed and I went up there, he was able to chase one and make it faint, but then when my parents and Lily were there, we ran around like idiots chasing and yelling at the goats and couldn't get either of them to faint!


Here's the truck we drove around - I think my dad liked driving it:


That night, we built a fire in the fire pit outside and cooked hotdogs and s'mores.


Lily really likes roasted marshmallows :-)


We really enjoyed sitting by the fire in the chilly weather, and looking up at the beautiful view of the stars so far away from any cities!! I'll post more soon on the rest of our weekend....

No comments:

Post a Comment